The Committee for Academic Infrastructure (CAI), formerly known as the Classroom Committee, was formed in 1997 to evaluate classroom facilities within the University's general classroom pool and to facilitate their improvement.
The committee includes a standing executive committee and a group of appointed faculty representatives. Executive committee members have direct responsibility for the UO teaching environment and include representatives from the Library and Media Services, the Registrar's Office, University Planning, Facilities Services, and the Office of Academic Affairs. Appointed members of the committee serve as trusted and respected representatives of the faculty and staff.
Classroom Evaluation Standards
Over time the classroom committee has developed a set of standards that it consistently applies to teaching space on the UO campus. Projects are generally selected on the basis of the most egregious deviations. Four basic criteria are used in evaluating spaces:
- Lighting: Is it sufficiently adjustable to accommodate various applications and at maximum brightness does it make the room feel "warm" and engaging?
- Presentation: Is there adequate presentation equipment in spaces? Is the screen big enough to be viewable, is the lighting adjustable enough so that good contrast exists?
- Comfort: Is the square foot per student adequate or do the students imitate sardines in a can? Is the classroom furniture sufficiently flexible to accommodate different uses for that room? Do students have adequate work-space? Does the room become excessively warm or excessively cold?
- Acoustics: Is there a lot of mechanical noise or ambient noise? Can the presenter be clearly heard? Can the audience be heard? Can sound from movies, etc be heard adequately?
To bring a classroom or teaching environment to the attention of the committee, please fill out the feedback form.
- Ken Doxsee, Academic Affairs
- Alice Barkan, Biology
- Amy Keene, Facilities Services
- Andrew Bonamici, UO Libraries
- Cathy Soutar, University Planning
- Darin Dehle, Facilities Services
- Helen Chu, Information Services
- Mike Jefferis, Asst. Registrar
- Rachele Raia, College of Arts & Sciences
- Rob Thallon, Architecture & Allied Arts
- Sonja Runberg (staff), Academic Affairs
- Stan Hall, UO Libraries
- Sue Eveland, Registrar
- Tad Lueck, Campus Operations
If you are interested in service, please contact the chair of the Committee for Academic Infrastructure, Professor Kenneth M. Doxsee, noting your position and academic unit and providing a brief description of your interest in serving.