February 17, 2016
IMPORTANT EXTENSION: for school/college level policy templates
In December, we sent an email indicating that schools and colleges needed to develop summer session policy templates and submit them to Academic Affairs by February 26th. This was because the CBA states that the policies must be reviewed by a joint committee prior to submission to units, who then needed to adopt policies to be made available to faculty no later than May 2016.
Through joint agreement with United Academics, this deadline has been extended to April 1, 2016, with announcement to faculty by November 1, 2016.
Thus, for summer appointments starting in 2017, the following applies:
The 2015-18 UA CBA details summer session appointments and assignments in Article 18 and, among other things, requires that –
· Colleges or schools provide language to be included in every policy governing compensation, appointments, and budgeting surrounding Summer Session. The language shall include the University of Oregon summer payroll practices guidelines developed in November 2014.
· The college or school language will be reviewed and edited by a review committee made up of three UO representatives and three United Academics representatives before being forwarded todepartments or units.
· Once the college or school language is approved, every unit will develop a policy for the appointment, professional responsibilities, course cancelation and compensation for Summer Session work.
· Final department policies will be approved by the dean’s office.
· Policies will be made available to faculty no later than November 1, 2016 [this date substituted for original by subsequent agreement] and will become effective Summer Session 2017.
** Therefore, each college or school must review Article 18 and submit proposed policy language to email@example.com by April 1, 2016. This will allow time for the committee (described in the 2nd bullet above) to review and edit the college/school language before it is passed on to units. Deans then approve final unit policies that must be made available to faculty by November 1, 2016.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Doug and Susan,
Susan Anderson Doug Blandy
Senior Vice Provost Senior Vice Provost