Promotion and Tenure
Expectations for you as a full-time tenure-track faculty member at the University of Oregon are consistent with those of other major research universities:
(1) sustained high-quality, innovative scholarship in your discipline, demonstrated through a record of concrete, accumulated research or creative accomplishment;
(2) effective, stimulating teaching in your classes and your contributions to ensuring academic success for undergraduates and graduate students;
(3) steady responsible service and leadership to your students and your department, your university, and your professional discipline more broadly.
The University of Oregon follows the general timetable, process, and standards of performance for evaluation and promotion as many other public research universities, particularly AAU institutions. UO also considers and adheres to AAUP guidelines to the extent possible.
Typical Evaluation Timeline
The most typical timeline for evaluation is that of a tenure-track appointment with no credit for prior service. The evaluation schedule requires:
- Annual reviews in the spring of years 1,2, and 4;
- a comprehensive third-year review in the spring of year 3;
- Promotion and tenure review, beginning spring of year 5 with a decision by spring of year 6;
- Post-tenure reviews
It should be clear from the terms of your hire where on the timeline you are when you begin your position. Read more about evaluations for promotion and tenure.
Departmental Criteria for Promotion and Tenure
All academic departments and programs with tenure-related faculty appointments must have promotion and tenure criteria that have been reviewed and approved by their dean and by Academic Affairs. Be sure to become familiar with the pertinent document for your discipline and academic department or program. Promotion and tenure criteria for individual departments are available online.
Overview of the Promotion and Tenure Process
|Spring - Preliminary Work|
|Candidates contributions to process|
|Identification and solicitation of external reviewers|
|Early Fall - Departmental Review|
|Personnel Committee: report and a vote|
|Vote by voting faculty (signed, secret ballot)|
|Department Head: report and recommendation|
|Late Fall / Early Winter - School / College Review|
|Personnel Committee (elected): report and vote|
|Dean: report and recommendation|
|Winter / Early Spring - University Review|
|Faculty Personnel committee (elected): report and vote|
|Provost: review and decision (Decision by May 1st)|