December 7, 2015
As units begin work on 2016 summer assignments, please ensure that everyone in your school or college who has a role in summer appointments has the following information:
Materials attached: 2015-18 UA CBA Article 18 (Summer Session Appointments and Assignments, attached)
Two processes need to occur:
(1) For summer 2016 appointments: summer session 2016 assignments must comply with the summer payroll guidelines provided on the Academic Affairs website(which are the same as those used last year) and sections 2 – 6 of Article 18.
(2) For summer appointments after 2016:
The 2015-18 UA CBA details summer session appointments and assignments in Article 18 and, among other things, requires that:
- Colleges or schools provide language to be included in every policy governing compensation, appointments, and budgeting surrounding Summer Session. The language shall include the University of Oregon summer payroll practices guidelines developed in November 2014.
- The college or school language will be reviewed and edited by a review committee made up of three UO representatives and three United Academics representatives before being forwarded to departments or units.
- Once the college or school language is approved, every unit will develop a policy for the appointment, professional responsibilities, course cancelation and compensation for Summer Session work.
- Final department policies will be approved by the dean’s office.
- Policies will be made available to faculty no later than May 2016 and will become effective Summer Session 2017.
** Therefore, each college or school must review Article 18 and submit proposed policy language to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 26, 2016. This will allow time for the committee (described in the 2nd bullet above) to review and edit the college/school language before it is passed on to units. Deans then approve final unit policies that must be made available to faculty by May 2016.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Doug and Susan,
Susan Anderson Doug Blandy
Senior Vice Provost Senior Vice Provost