The peer review and evaluation of teaching process for all faculty is defined and described on a separate page, which includes recommended principles for department policies, as well as recordkeeping and frequency of peer review requirements.
Pro Tem NTTF Evaluation
Pro tem non-tenure-track faculty (NTTF) must undergo performance evaluation on an annual basis. Please note that NTTF holding pro tem appointments are not eligible for promotion, but they are welcome to apply to searches for career NTTF. Please refer to departmental/unit-level policy documents outlining the criteria for performance evaluation for NTTF, including pro tem faculty members.
Career NTTF Evaluation
NTTF review and promotion for bargaining unit members is covered by Article 19 of the United Academics Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Departmental/unit-level policy documents can be found on the Department and Unit Policies page of the Academic Affairs website.
Contract Renewal Evaluation for Career NTTF
The details and structure of NTTF contract renewal evaluation are the responsibility of the academic unit in which the appointment is made, but these evaluations must follow some general guidelines, which are applicable to career NTTF regardless of United Academics bargaining unit status.
- Performance evaluation must occur once in each contract period or every 3 years, whichever is sooner, and consider performance since the faculty member’s last review.
- For instructional career NTTF, student course evaluations will be offered for each course taught with five or more students. The evaluation of teaching will include a review of student evaluations for each course taught.
- Instructional career NTTF are expected to undergo at least one peer review of teaching per contract period using the criteria and timeframe for notification established by the department or unit. The reviews will be included in the performance evaluation.
- Research career NTTF will undergo performance evaluations using established procedures to assess quality of work performed and the outcomes of their contributions.
- Librarians will undergo performance evaluation of their achievements in professional roles in the library, according to library policy on review and promotion.
- When applicable, the evaluation of scholarship, research, and creative activity will include assessment of work quality, impact on field nationally and internationally, and overall contribution to the discipline or program.
- The performance evaluation process will include an opportunity for career NTTF to discuss efforts and performance with a supervisor at least once during a contract period.
- Each performance evaluation will include an opportunity for submission of a personal statement with information relevant to the NTTF’s performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- When evaluating the performance of required professional development activities, the review will consider the availability of professional development funds and opportunities, and the faculty member’s efforts to secure funding.
- Career NTTF performance evaluations will use only the approved criteria made available to the faculty member.
Career NTTF Promotion
Please refer to Academic Affairs’ page on NTTF promotion for detailed information and sample documents.
The Office of Academic Affairs can be an important resource for all faculty. If you have questions or concerns that have not been adequately addressed at the department or college level, please feel free to contact us.